Join our growing group of well-trained, collegial board certified neurologists and skilled APP’s in caring for an interesting, diverse population in our busy hospital. Care for a broad variety of neurological diseases inpatient, including a large acute stroke population as our high volume program moves towards Comprehensive Stroke Certification.
We pride ourselves on quality care to our patients, a strong focus towards continuous process improvement, and respect and a team based approach to support one another. Our membership and collaboration with Penn Medicine brings together the strengths of a world-renowned, not-for-profit matrixed academic medical center and a nationally recognized, not-for-profit community healthcare system to further our ability to provide high-level quality care close to home for the population of Lancaster County and its neighboring areas.
Lancaster General Health has been recognized with magnet certification for the 5th time in 2021. We received the distinguished Foster G. McGaw Award in 2018 for commitment to efforts to support our community’s health and well-being. LGH is ranked the fourth best hospital in Pennsylvania in the 2021-2022 U.S. News and World Reports Best Hospitals Ranking.
The Lancaster General Health/Penn Medicine neurohospitalist position combines a nationally ranked medical system with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals, and a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The community we serve has diversity unlike any other –we serve the rural Amish for which our county is famous- but less well known is the fact that our Mennonite neighbors provide a safe landing place for more refugees than any other county in the country. Lancaster City is home to an underserved inner city population. The surrounding scenic Susquehanna River Valley provide opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a short drive away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, shopping and dining, and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to live, work, and play.
In order to maximize clinical care along with life-style – the anticipated schedule is 7 on/ 7 off, 12 hour days, with call being 1-2 nights per week. We utilize telestroke overnight and there is nighttime APP coverage in-house to assist in call responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- In conjunction with the Chair of Neurology and the Stroke Medical Director, helps to identify and recommend process improvements for the inpatient neurology programs and Stroke consistent with Lancaster General Hospital goals. Provides patient care necessary to accomplish approved objectives and plans.
- In collaboration with a multidisciplinary team, participates in care management teams and is responsible for providing general neurological care, hospital ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, including neuro-critical care for Lancaster General Hospital.
- Collaborates with key hospital departments and other organizational entities to ensure seamless and coordinated care for stroke/neurological patients; coordinates access to necessary linkages with the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania programs as appropriate.
- Collaborates with the Stroke Program Coordinator and Executive Director of Neurosciences for related quality and performance measures. This responsibility includes but not limited to:
- Participation in stroke rounds and peer review activities through Neurology Division meetings
- Active participation in Stroke Care Management
- Participates in outreach initiatives
- Willing to lead monthly Neurohospitalist Review in the absence of the Medical Director
- Stays abreast of the work required to support stroke related accreditations e.g. TJC Disease Specific Certification.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in academic relationships with the University of Pennsylvania in support of the teaching and research goals of the program.
- Interprets diagnostic EEGs in a timely manner.
- Participates in stroke research trials at Lancaster General Hospital.
- Collaborates with medical and surgical specialties as well as EMS services to support aligned and coordinated stroke care delivery in the community.
- Will participate in stroke call coverage to meet the patient care responsibilities of the Stroke Program. Participates as a member in the Lancaster General Hospital Stroke on-call roster. Provides direct care of stroke inpatients and emergent Neurological consultation requests while serving as an on-call panelist.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains CME requirements as described in The Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification criteria. In conjunction with the Clinical Nurse Specialist and/or Academic Departments, insures that an effective program of in-service education is implemented for clinical support staff. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- M.D., or DO Board Certified/Board Eligible Neurologist Unrestricted license to practice medicine in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program. High level of interpersonal skills to allow effective communications with a wide variety of hospital personnel and physicians and the general public.
Benefits At A Glance:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
For more information or to apply, email: LGH.PhysicianApply@pennmedicine.upenn.edu
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.