UMass Memorial Health, the clinical partner of the UMass Chan Medical School, is seeking an Academic Epileptologist in a clinician or clinician-scientist track. This individual will join an active epilepsy group with inpatient and outpatient services and will work closely with experts in neurosurgical therapies for epilepsy.
The UMass Memorial Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is a NAEC (National Association of Epilepsy Centers) Level 4 institution offering the following treatments and services:
- stereotactic placement of depth electrodes (stereo-EEG)
- disconnective and resective epilepsy surgeries
- responsive nerve stimulator (RNS) placement
- vagal nerve stimulator placement
- unique neuropsychiatry program
- coming soon: deep brain stimulator (DBS) placement
- coming soon: ketogenic diet clinic
Primary clinical responsibilities of this position include:
- Inpatient video-EEG monitoring
- Attending on the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit service
- Outpatient routine and ambulatory EEG
- Managing patients with epilepsy in the clinic (sessions are cancelled during inpatient service weeks, continuous EEG service, vacation, and academic conferences)
Additional opportunities at UCMS and UMass Memorial Medical Center include:
- Work with a multidisciplinary epilepsy team including epileptologists, advance practice practitioner, social worker, nurse navigator, functional neurosurgeons, neuropsychiatrists, clinical psychologists, and neuroradiologists
- Participate in the education of neurology residents and medical students at a top-ranking Medical School (US News #10 Primary Care) with Neurology Residency (8 residents per year) and medical students (~150 per year)
- Participate in a Junior Faculty Development Program for career guidance, promotion tracking, and research mentorship
- Ability to tailor career to focus on clinical epilepsy, resident and medical student education, and/or research endeavors
This position entails a faculty appointment at the medical school, which affords exceptional opportunities for professional development and promotion and membership in the medical staff at the UMass Memorial Medical Center, a large, integrated health system (UMMH). UCMS and UMMH combine top-flight clinical care with world-class research. UCMS has numerous cutting-edge research programs in RNA biology, gene expression control and human gene therapy, quantitative health sciences and outcomes research, as well as a translational program supported by a Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA). The Neurology Department is committed to integrating the outstanding academic and clinical programs through multiple activities including teaching, comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, an active neuroICU, and a large referral base throughout New England.
Worcester is just 45 miles from Boston, Providence, and Cape Cod with a short ride to the scenic Berkshire and Wachusett Mountains. This diverse city has nine colleges and universities including the University of Massachusetts Medical School, that overlooks the panoramic views of Lake Quinsigamond. As the second largest city in New England, it has powered a rise of booming technology, research, manufacturing and healthcare industries. Worcester is also home to the Hanover Theatre for Performing Arts, Worcester Art Museum and the family-friendly Ecotarium.