The Department of Neurology at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH seeks advanced practice provider for Headache Medicine. This role provides neurologic specialized healthcare to individuals and families suffering from headaches. Assesses and manages the healthcare needs and problems within neurology and specifically headache, emphasizing health promotion and disease prevention as well as the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illness. Treatment includes performing specialized procedures such as Botox, nerve blocks and trigger point injections. Functions as part of the provider team to provide care to the department’s panel of patients and, may have a defined panel of patients who identify the APRN or PA as their primary headache specialist.
- Assesses the physical and psychosocial health status of patient and family by taking health histories and conducting comprehensive physical examinations.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic/screening tests to evaluate the patient’s current health status.
- Formulates diagnosis and implements a treatment plan to manage acute illness and stable chronic illness consulting with and making a referral to physician colleagues and other health care providers as indicated.
- Consults and collaborates with a department physician or appropriate specialist to plan and manage the care for patients with unstable or complex acute or chronic illness. Facilitates transfer of the patient to the primary care physician when the complexity of care exceeds the scope of practice.
- Evaluates patient’s progress during follow-up visits and implement a revised plan of care.
- Prescribes and/or dispenses medication.
- Provides patient education with an emphasis on the promotion of health and wellness and the prevention of illness and disability.
- Provides guidance and counseling for both individuals and families.
- Demonstrates patient advocacy that ensures the patient’s right to privacy, confidentiality, and informed consent.
- Serves as a mentor for new APNs, nursing students, and department nursing staff.
- Assumes responsibility to renew APRN license in a timely manner and maintain DEA registration.
- Attends continuing education programs to ensure ongoing professional growth and development to meet licensure requirements.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Under the supervision of the Headache Center Medical Director, coordinate services throughout the Headache Center to drive the highest quality, efficiency, and community impact of the care we provide. The primary location of this position is Heater Road in Lebanon, NH.
Requirements for Nurse Practitioners:
• RN and APRN currently licensed or eligible for licensure in NH
• Graduate of an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner’s Master’s Program
Requirements for Physician Assistants:
• Current certification or eligibility for certification to practice as a Physician’s Assistant in the state of NH
• Graduate from a certified Physician Assistant Program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.