Advanced Practice Provider (APP - NP/PA)- Neurology
Required Minimum Training and Education
Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program and current licensed or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant.
Completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and currently licensed or eligible as an FNP.
Minimum of 1 year experience as a Family Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant required.
Minimum of 2 years as an FNP or PA preferred.
Degree of Supervision
FNP or Physician Assistant will be assigned a Primary Supervising/Collaborating Physician employed by MUSC and will report directly to this physician.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations
Currently licensed (or eligible) in the state of South Carolina as a Physician Assistant by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners or as an FNP with the SC Board of Nursing. Requires certification in Basic Life Support (BLS). If BLS is not current, provider must enroll and have received certificate by start date. DHEC and DEA license applications must be submitted prior to first day.
Provides direct care to patients through the following activities:
- Takes comprehensive history and performs physical examinations
- Evaluates and treats on the basis of history, physical examination, radiological, laboratory, and other diagnostic test results pursuant to the practice agreement or scope of practice guideline
- Performs the following therapeutic procedures in accordance with procedural privileges, skill and proficiency as approved by the Clinical Leader
- EMG, Nerve conduction studies
- Ambulatory EEGs
- Initiates referrals to other health care provides, and/or consults with the attending physician or the collaborating physician
- Documents and bills for direct care provided
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization
- Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education
- Potential to precept students at MUSC enrolled as an advanced practice provider student; and facilitates the learning of other new team members
- APRN or PA must maintain licenses, certifications, CNEs/CMEs, etc. as required by applicable policies and state law
Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36" to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.